My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
This blog was created to share the experiences of an inexperienced marketer (ME) trying to navigate the crazy world of internet marketing. I've got zero experience in the industry, but I'm here to figure it out and reveal to the world what I learn.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Content Management Systems

CMS is a new concept for me. You would think that a person, say a "Content Editor", would edit and manage content on a website or in emails, but Noooooo - there are Content Management Systems to do that for you! I suppose CMS simplifies the job, puts one more person out of a job, and helps large corporations and companies manage all of their content.

I might be totally wrong, but the equations to me looks something like this:

Empty box in righthand corner + Search "unicorns" = finds every article / link / paragraph with the text "unicorn" and THAT = CMS

Person A likes UFC + boxing + skydiving = emails with messages about band aids and life insurance AND opens an auto website with content regarding safety rules
while
Person B subscribes to RSS feeds about Vegan lifestyles = emails about happiness and longevity AND opens an auto website with content regarding electric car gas mileage, and THAT = CMS

According to Percussion Inc's website, a leading web content management company: Organizations often realize that simply sharing content and managing changes is not enough. Today, it's critical to achieve a measurable return on content. Web Content Management (WCM) systems enables your organization to achieve a significant return on the content it produces. By delivering dynamic, frequently changing information to audiences across multiple sites, multiple channels, and multiple lines of business, WCM helps you to extend your marketing reach, encourage self-service and strengthen customer relationships.

It's a little weird to think I might be viewing a website and my friends on another computer view the same website, but with different content tailored specifically for them. Then again, I might not completely understand CMS and all of its capabilities.

No comments: